Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Oh Boy....I'm Sorry!

Wow, I'm so sorry I have been such a slacker on blog posting! I will admit....Instagram as gotten the attention instead.
We have been having some nice weather recently. (Where the sun is shining and the air is warmer.) Which means things are drying up. Like, the round pen!! Last week I worked him three times and rode him twice! (I am so excited for this summer!) Just after working him four times, (really only two main times, the other two were really "short workouts") Chester is loads better! He is much calmer now, not as hyper and is respecting me more. There was a little bit there where I was very nervous about taking him out of his yard. Because when I did he would get really energetic and there was a couple times he got so excited about being out and had so much energy that he started bucking and kicking. Not aggressively, just out of pure excitement and joy.
Don't get me wrong, he still has lots of energy, but isn't having those bucking "episodes". Which I am very happy about as those scared me. I tell you, he is in Great shape for an older guy! =)

I was so happy to get on him and ride around. It's been awhile since I had a ride like that. I have to say though, I have only ridden him one other time this winter. Besides practicing jumping up on him bareback. =) 
I was going to work and ride him the other day but was pleasantly reminded that a little rain around here goes far! We had gotten a little rain the night before so the round pen was just a little to wet to work in. He slid around while trying to trot on the lunge line. So since I already was doing good with him that week having had him out twice-worked and rode him- I figured it would be fine if we called it a day and I let him pop all the heads off the dandelions that have sprung up recently. :)

























2 comments:

  1. That's great that you're doing good with Chester! Two weeks ago I was feeling sooo good. I rode four days out of the week and all the horses got ridden at least once. Well then the next week I only rode once. Ooops! Anyway the nice riding weather is just coming in!
    Happy trails!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather for the sweet comment. It was encouraging to me....it was a nice reminder that we all can't be perfect and be on top of riding and working our horses all the time.
    Thanks for the encouragement! =)

    ~Mal

    ReplyDelete